That word keeps coming up.
Maybe it is because I am living in a foreign country.
Or maybe it is because I am prepping with a team to do a serving trip to this same country this summer.
But it keeps reoccurring:
I am an ambassador for Christ.
And so are you if you are a Christ-follower.
Think about it:
We are citizens of another country, sent to live in a foreign land, to represent our King and His authority.
Yes, even you who have never left the land of your birth.
Once you accepted Christ as Savior, you became an ambassador for the heavenly Kingdom.
A citizen of heaven.
Living temporarily on earth.
Sent here to represent the King of Kings.
That’s heady enough.
But then there is more.
An ambassador is a plenipotentiary of his or her home country.
A plenipotentiary of heaven!
What does that mean?
I am so glad you asked!
Webster’s Dictionary defines it this way:
“a person and especially a diplomatic agent invested with full power to transact business”.
With full power.
To conduct business.
The King of Kings and Lord of Lords, the Creator of the Universe, the One Who is Above All, In All and Through All, the Great I AM, the One Who Was and Is and Is to Come – that Power, that Head of State – has invested in you.
He has invested time.
Calling you to Himself.
Preparing the way for you to come.
And once you came, pouring into your life.
Teaching you spiritual things.
Guiding you by His Spirit.
Transforming you by His Word.
Teaching you to praise Him.
Teaching you who you are in Him.
Providing all that you need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1).
He is invested in you!
Therefore, you are invested with His power.
And not just any power.
With FULL power.
• The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is at work in you. (Ephesians 1)
• That power will take every part of your life – yes, even your mistakes – and use them for your good and God’s glory. (Romans 8)
• You have the power to fight Satan and all “rulers, authorities, the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” (Ephesians 6)
• You not only have the power to fight them, you are guaranteed to overcome because the One in you is greater than they are! (I John 4)
• You have been given the ability to praise God, which “silences the foe and the avenger” (Psalm 8)
• And you have been given the Word of God, which is a sharp sword, living, powerful and able to get even to the point of dividing bone from marrow and motive from attitude! (Hebrews 4)
• On top of all that, you have the Spirit of the Living God inside of you, giving you all that you need to “will and to act according to His good purpose”. (Philippians 2)
• And that power at work in you will continue until the day Christ returns! (Philippians 1)
ALL of that – and MORE – is yours as a plenipotentiary of the King!
But that is not all!
He has INVESTED you with FULL power –
so that you can accomplish HIS business!
Not your pastor.
Not the missionary.
Not your godly grandma or even your neighbor who has it more together.
He has called you.
Invested in you.
Given you full power.
And now expects you to take care of HIS business on this earth.
It’s why He left you here after you got saved.
It’s also what the world desperately needs you to do.
Invest in His business.
Give generously to the local church, His “main office” in your community.
Give of your time, talent and treasure.
Share the gospel extravagantly and often.
Everywhere. To everyone.
Use words as needed.
Consider how you are going to be a part of the “Go into ALL the world” command.
Are you a go-er? Or a sender?
The only thing you cannot be is a non-participant.
Be like Jesus and love the outcast.
Be like Jesus and disciple those in your circle.
Be intentional in friendships.
Share what you have learned with someone further back on the path.
Do His business.
Or, as Jesus prayed in his model prayer, do His “will on earth as it is in heaven”.
After all, that is your real home.
You may have a very nice embassy here on earth.
And you may enjoy lots of benefits of this foreign land.
But it is a temporary assignment.
And one day you will stand before the King of all Kings.
And He will say, “OK, Ambassador. As my plenipotentiary, what did you do with that power I invested in you?”
I hope you have a great answer!
It is never too late to start living one…